View Single Post
Old 02-09-20, 03:58 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Yeah quill pedals with a traditional shoe and cleats is a fine combination. But I suspect most of us at this point are avoiding traditional shoes with cleats. I have a pair of Sidis still left from my racing days but I almost never use them.

I love the comfort of a modern SPD style MTB shoe but it is not a super happy combo with quill pedals on a long ride as they flex a bit too much or at least that has been my experience. I picked up the Lyotard 23s for a Mercier 300 I am rebuilding. If this works, I may end up using platform pedals on my long distance machines.
Yeah, that's probably true about going back to slot cleats. Let us know what you figure out. I'm also in need of some cycling shoes appropriate for my clips and straps bikes. I'd be happy with a traditional looking ventilated leather shoe and no cleats too. I would like some slight ribbing on the fore sole to grab the pedal like the old Avocets if possible. I managed to pick up some no. 23 pedals a few months ago too. (keep in mind the rivets sometimes need peening, and the dustcaps hold the whole thing together)

I love my Pearl Izumi MTB shoes, so comfortable and ventilated. The soles are a bit heavily lugged to get in and out of clips and straps easily though, at least for me. Maybe they'd work better with platform pedals.