Old 11-09-18, 12:05 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
You're asking a good question with the fork interaction with a wheel... unfortunately there's not really a hard rule as to what wheel and what fork work best together. I've seen a good amount of guesses on interactions between narrow and wide blades and the pressure... but never anything that seemed conclusive beyond the small sample size (usually 1 of 1) Biketechreview has an old article on it I think is still viewable.
It would be pretty interesting for someone to test a handful of the more popular track forks with a handful of the most prominent aero front wheels...Of course, each wheel would have to run the same tire model, but in a size for each wheel which matched tire and wheel width comparably. What a geeky fun test that would be. I wonder how revealing the test would be for both wheel designers and frame designers. A high-clearance fork might be the most wheel agnostic, and some of the tighter forks may match up well with certain wheels in terms of aero performance. My TT road bike (Giant Trinity) has a very roomy high-clearance fork, and I didn't understand why from an aero standpoint until I started thinking about different aero wheel designs, then I thought that fork was pretty brilliant.