Old 11-27-20, 04:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by ImTheDecider
Thanks to everyone for the advice, I’m ready everything and adding options to my list.

Anyone think I’m being silly by restricting my choices to steel? I understand aluminum to be a bumpier ride, from personal experience and reading. Titanium is going to be a little expensive for this type of bike. That leaves carbon, but frankly I don’t want another carbon bike. I’m a little concerned about its longevity, and especially about using a steel U-Lock with a carbon frame. If someone yanks on it, I think it’d screw up the frame, possibly.
if you are riding this thing to get donuts, as you've mentioned a couple times, then just get something that's comfortable for geometry and can fit a wide tire.
Steel or aluminum will be fine if it fits and you can get some wider tires set up. All my bikes are steel- there is nothing magical about it. Whats important is frame geometry and tire choice when it comes to feel.
A 43mm tire will mute a whole lot of bumps when pumped to 35psi. It will effectively eliminate any difference between a steel frame with carbon fork and aluminum frame with carbon fork, assuming both materials are on bikes with the same geometry.
That may not be popular to say, but it isnt wrong.