View Single Post
Old 01-06-19, 01:40 PM
calamarichris
Horse Categorie

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A Wider Q-Factor Possibly Beneficial?

I've always gone with the narrowest Q-factor possible, but I recently built up a bike that had a non-performance crank and bottom bracket that were much wider (over 2cm wider at least than my usual Dura Ace 7800 crank & BB.) And I noticed that my legs were less prone to tightening up when digging deep/pedaling hard.

I'm a larger rider, 185 pounds, 6'2" with proportional hips, and I wonder if perhaps riders my size do not benefit from the narrowest Q-factor possible? There isn't much information on it (the best I was able to find so far is the below pasting on the Wikipedia entry, but my local bike fitter said that the narrowest-Q-factor is basically a wives tale that doesn't apply to everyone.
******Pasted from Wikipedia:
A larger Q Factor (wider tread) will mean less cornering clearance (while pedaling) for the same bottom bracket height and crank arm length. A smaller Q Factor (narrower tread) is desirable on faired recumbent bicycles because then the fairing can also be narrower, hence smaller and lighter.[4] Sheldon Brown said that a narrower tread is ergonomically superior because it more closely matches the nearly-inline track of human footsteps.[5]Research from The University of Birmingham in the United Kingdom suggests narrower Q Factors are more efficient, likely due to improved application of force during the pedal stroke, as well the potential for reduced knee variability and risk of injury.******