Old 02-03-19, 11:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
It used to bother if people would say what others should do, i.e. because I had some kind of zealous moral crusade against moral crusades. At some point, I just realized that when people say what others should do, it's just another way of saying that it's good to do something. You should realize this and just accept that sometimes instead of saying, "it's good to do X," people will say, "people should do X," or even "you should do X." If they're not actively cornering you, which sometimes happens in this forum to me btw, then it's just advice from someone who wants to give advice to others generally. It's nothing to get bothered by.
It's not a matter of getting bothered, it's a matter of getting dismissed. The world is full of people trying to tell other people what they should do. Most people ignore it. If you want to effect change why adopt a model that leads to being dismissed? I'm quite foccussed on being successful in what I want to accomplish so I choose strategies that work. If what I am doing doesn't work I review what I am doing until it does.

It's really just a reversal of the idea of who should do the work. You can quote all the stats and list all the rationale but in the end I still will wonder: Do you actually live the way you seem to think others should? If yes, that adds some street cred. If no.. meh. I don't know yet because I don't really read any personal experiences being expressed that way here.