View Single Post
Old 02-10-19, 09:00 AM
djb

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by schoolboy2 View Post
Just for clarity, we plan to lock our bikes whenever we leave them. But since most bike locks are easily defeated by a determined thief, I was wondering if others had problems.

BTW, thanks everyone for the great replies. You've put my mind at ease.
don't know how old you are, what travelling experience you have, but using common sense and being in rural areas generally means things will be fine.
At tourist spots that we stopped at, my wife and I put our bikes side by side, and locked them together. As you say, you take your handlebar bag with all the important stuff, and in a touristy spot in rural france, the chances of someone rooting through panniers and dirty clothes to look for valuables is pretty small.
Facing our bikes back to back, so intertwined a bit, and using two coil locks that you can put through pannier handles will stop a run and grab of a pannier, but we always come back to common sense awareness and evaluation of a given spot and the people around.
No guarantees in life, but I havent had any issues biking in France the number of times I've been, including the Loire route.