View Single Post
Old 02-14-19, 07:31 PM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Of Trolly Tracks and Broken Bones...

By way of introduction, I'm 73 years old and took up cycling, seriously, seven months ago. Four months ago I purchased my first (previously owned) Road Bike, a Focus Izalco, which I dearly love! I live a 3-mile straight shot from the Pinellas Trail in St. Petersburg, FL. I ride the trail at least three times a week and average 60 to 70 miles weekly. Okay...

Riding with a friend, last week, we were following the Pinellas Trail north, about 18 miles from home, through Clearwater, Florida. Clearwater doesn't appreciate the Trail like most of the other towns through its 38 mile meanderings. And, while pointing out the next turn through light traffic, I passed over the old trolley tracks with total disregard for my intercept angle. The next thing I knew I was on the ground with a great deal of pain in my left shoulder. I could move my arm through a full arc so I figured it wasn't broken. The bike only experienced a scratched pedal and a beat up rearview mirror. So, it was obviously time to turn around and head home.

Interestingly, according to Strava, I set 3 PR's on the 18 mile ride home! HA!

Of course, the Little Woman demanded I go get it x-rayed and, sure enough, I fractured my left clavicle. BUMMER! I'm out of action for 6 - 8 weeks!

Got home from the Doc and set my Jamis Commuter up on my training wheel. (I've come too far in the past seven months to stop now!) Two pics for you: my exquisitely colorful left shoulder (taken in a mirror so it looks like it's my right shoulder) and the trainer set up. Apologies for the clutter around the Jamis... wife allows me only a small portion of the porch!

The moral of this story is: WATCH OUT FOR OLD TROLLEY TRACKS ON OTHERWISE PRISTINE BLACK TOP! ...CROSS AT 90° ONLY!!