View Single Post
Old 06-30-19, 02:41 PM
VinceCam

Bikes: '96 'dale 2.8, '08 'dale R700, '08 Dahon Helios, '18 Moto NightTrain Bullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newbie to forum, but cycling for last 45 yrs. I feel for you. Last year my wife was diagnosed with diabetes but despite low cholesterol was badgered to take atorvastatin. She fought it until finally giving in. For me, I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and given atorvastatin almost 20 yrs ago and within a few months suffered muscle weakness and spasms. Switched to pravastatin which was better for a few months before the return of symptoms. Later, switched to Zetia and then rosuvastatin, then 1/2 rosuvastatin every other day. During each of these switches, the symptoms would abate, before returning. Lastly, I was switched to pitavastatin which within days resulted in uncontrollable muscles spasms in my legs, chest muscles, back and ..... eyelids. During this 12 yr period, I lost muscle strength and the spasms would put me out of commission running or biking for at least of couple of weeks. Finally, I said enough is enough and stopped all statins. In the 7 yrs since I have had 2 or 3 muscle spasms as opposed to a nearly daily occurrence. When Praluent (similar to Repatha both PCSK9 inhibitors) was approved by the FDA (summer '15), I was lucky enough to be the 5th person in my area (AL, GA) to be approved. In the 4 yrs since, no muscle weakness, no spasms and I've been able to work my way up to 150 mi per week cycling. Still some residual weakness, but my cholesterol is far lower than any statin I took. Recent clinical trials with these PCSK9 inhibitors have shown decreased mortality, CHD .... so insurers are slowly starting to approve them. I'm not a doctor (not that type anyhow), but anecdotally there are people who are statin intolerant and there are other options.