Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by The Piper
It is a 2013 model. My sliding dropouts definitely have a derailleur hanger. The plan is to use GX derailleur, shifter and either X01 or XX1 cranks. I can always either sell the components or use them on a newer frame(which is what I'm planing to do). Are all BB treads the same with the MTB? I usually ride fixed/single or road and some of those frames have different BB threads. Are there different size thru axles diameters or are just the lengths are different? How to know what Sram crank/bb to match up with?

I believe this build Kona Big Unit - Singlespeed 29er Mountain Bike - Eddie's Bicycles and Hockey Equipment used a 140mm fork if i'm reading correctly. What about the geometry to look for when choosing a fork?
I think you should post a pic of your rear dropouts, because if they are not The ones in the picture for the 2013 model, then we can’t tell you what you have.

Or google “135 vs 142 rear spacing” with pictures and figure it out yourself. And double check by measuring the spacing.

If you do not own a set of digital calipers get one. They are cheap and will pay for themselves quickly.

Until then, we can’t tell you what rear hub you need.

I am 90% certain what you have is either 135 or 142, both of which would mean non-boost. But your dropouts are clearly not stock for a 2013 model, so you need to double check.

Regarding the fork and geo: it looks like this frame was made for a long time, and over time geo of models change. Without knowing what model year the bike with the 140mm shock was built on, it is hard to know it it was an appropriate length for your uses. Plus, just because someone did it, does not mean it works well. The fact that the 2013 frame has a ~70 def HA makes me very doubtful they had a 140mm fork in mind. Heck, the Unit complete bike came with a rigid fork.

Unfortunately, without knowing what length fork that a given geometry chart is based on, it is not very useful. There is really no way I can think of to reverse engineer the fork length from that geo chart.

Honestly, that product page for the 2013 is mostly useless.