View Single Post
Old 02-02-22, 09:41 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 565 Posts
Ebike for touring?

Okay, so we saw an ebike rolling by yesterday and my wife commented "Thats how I want to ride". I don't know that she was serious, since I figured her riding days were over. Any way it got me wondering about a couple possible uses for an ebike that could conceivably interest me now or at some point in the future. I am not really serious at this point, but there is a little nagging curiosity.

First potential use... It would be great if an ebike got my wife back on a bike. Better yet if she would be interested enough to tour with me. For various reasons that wouldn't happen in the near future any way, but it would sure be nice. I doubt this is a realistic hope though.

Second potential use... As I progress into my 70s I realize my abilities have declined and are going to decline. It would be nice if the added weight were low enough that it could be ignored and the bike ridden as a regular bike on the flat and rolling terrain until the big climbs and used as an assist at that point. I don't know that I am ready to make that move yet, but I'd rather go there than quit riding altogether. I wonder if something like Turbo Creo SL Expert would fill that bill for UL touring loads. The price is pretty rich for my blood, but it looks like it weighs about what my original touring bike weighed. So the weight while heavy maybe could be doable even for a weight weenie like me (I was never super obsessive about the weight of the bike itself). https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-creo-sl-expert Obviously there are cheaper ebike choices and ones intended for hauling bigger loads.