cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12871 Post(s)
Liked 7,795 Times in 4,135 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Vintage bikes can be such an expensive PITA sometimes

I want to put dual-pivot sidepulls on the SLT, but it takes the old nutted style attachment, not the modern recessed style.

Usually I have no problem with drilling out the back of the fork crown to accept the recessed mounting bolt, but this thing is fully chromed and I didn't like my chances of (1) being able to drill it at all or (2) not really screwing something up.

In a few days long search for mid-reach, nutted, dual-pivot sidepulls I came up mostly empty handed.

Browsing the Tektro website, they sell recessed -> nutted conversion kits for their brakes but they want $20 for two bolts, nuts, and washers, plus another $10 to ship it to me. Thankfully a set of 539 brakes is only around $50, but I'll end up having to disassemble at least one of them and swap mounting bolts.

I suppose it will be worth it to have brakes that are more than just a suggestion, but still....what a PITA.
In my experience, enlarging an existing hole in chrome is no problem. Might chip a little but the nut should cover that up, just dab a little primer on the bare spots.

Now starting a hole in chrome, that's a whole other ball of wax.