Old 05-26-20, 10:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
New bike day! Tern Rally retro-chic flat bar roadie

I guess you’d probably call it a modified club racer style bike, for the flat bar and 1x divetrain, but in any case, I loved the neoclassical styling of this new rig from Tern’s Roji collection, the Rally.

It’s inexpensive, listing at $750, and so the components aren’t top-line, but they look great on this metallic ivory paint. The overall quality is better than I expected, though, and this 58cm size seems to be under 30lbs. It’s got a thunbshifted Claris 8spd derailleur, a cromo frame, pretty polished rims, and leather grips. Most bits are polished aluminum, so the look is really tied together nicely.

The ride quality is pretty nice, too; it’s smooth, quiet, shifts and brakes wheel, and responds nicely to pedal input. It has a full set of braze-ons for a rack, too. The laser cut, metal top tube Tern badge is nice.

I got this to replace an actually vintage version, a flat bar ‘78 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, whose inefficiency was wearing on me. It looks cool, but I wanted something that shifted and braked better, had fenders, and which I didn’t dread working on. This fit the bill so well, it also replaced my front basket equipped cafe bike, a Schwinn Collegiate, which I was tired of for the same reasons I am of the Motobecane...plus the seat springs constantly groaned under my, um, “substantial” mass.

Apparently there are very few of these Roji bikes available; I think there are four models in all, each a special collaboration with another company. The Rally is done with Kitt Designs, whoever they are. Anyway, I grabbed this from forum member ThorUSA , who is a Tern dealer. I recommend hitting him up and gettin’ you one, because it’s a really cool bike!