Old 05-28-20, 06:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
What kind of comps do you have in mind? I was thinking of the Linus Pronto as being a good comp; it's a Claris 1x with flat bar and fenders, and lists at $699. For the $50 premium, it's a no-brainer to go with the Tern for the way better styling, IMO.

The $600 Public V7 would be a comp, too, I suppose, but again, I'm good with the $100 premium for sportier styling and an extra gear:

You could compare to those but I would want something a little nicer for that price. I can get a 3x8 with hydraulic disc brakes for the price if not less these days and even some 9 speed stuff as well. I am not saying that will be a bike of quality or hung with great components but just saying while the Tern looks good and probably ride a little nicer it isn't exceptionally well appointed for that price. Also 650c is a pretty dead size for wheels occasionally tires can be found but not much these days and as a commuter that would work. 26 (ISO:559) or 650b would have been a much better choice.

If the bike were 100-150 less I could see it. At the $750 if it had a nicer derailleur or maybe an IGH or was using Nitto stem, seatpost and bars.