View Single Post
Old 05-19-19, 02:20 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo
Going that way isnt bad because you can take the "bus only" lane and slip by on the right. Going the other way (From Goshen to Eugene) you have to get in the left lane of the first rotary (and the Springfield bound traffic going north on Franklin doesnt want to let you over) and then cross the Eugene to Springfield bound traffic, get in the right lane to the rotary to get on the bike lane (which suddenly at the EMX stop a few blocks away, forcing you into traffic... but I digress). Each lane crossing involves some risk. People drive to fast through the rotary, dont yield to bikes in the rotary (even though I am going the posted speed of 15 MPH. I tried using the crosswalk but no one stops for pedestrians in the crosswalks there.
See my notes above.

I certainly don't get into a protected bus lane.
Headed West on Main St, then south on Franklin:

Move into the left lane on Main St. Start moving over early as it is easy to get stuck in the right lane, and then have a big hassle getting left. I've moved over on my road bike as early as 10th street when moving fast with traffic, but generally find a hole sometime when crossing the green bridge to move over to the left side of the road.

Entering the first roundabout, it is rare to see vehicles making the circle from Franklin North to Glenwood West.

I just hit the left around the first roundabout, and then come out on Franklin Southbound. I've never had issues with cars not stopping for me, although Yesterday I had a car slowly coasting through the yield into the roundabout. I kept my speed up and got through before the vehicle entered.
Going straight through, from Springfield to Eugene,

I rarely hit the roundabout. If I am going all the way through, from Springfield to Eugene, I just go down D-Street, and hit the bike paths on the north side of the river, avoiding the roundabout completely.

If I'm planning to go to say Roaring Rapids Pizza, I've at times taken the sidewalk over the bridge, and stayed to the side of the roundabout. Or, as you mention, in the right lane, it shouldn't be bad.
Going from Goshen towards Springfield, north on Franklin, East on South A.

I just skirt around the edge of the roundabout. I think the city is trying to route one onto the sidewalk, but I generally stay on the street. One hits a short curved section of road. Unfortunately, the curbs on both sides seem to be funnel shaped, and rather dangerous if a car should choose to attempt to pass on the curve.
Going from Goshen towards Eugene, north on Franklin, west through Glenwood.

It depends a bit on the ultimate destination, but as mentioned, I usually would turn early on the road past UPS, hop across the RR tracks, then cut over to the road by the dump, and back to Franklin. Half block on Franklin, then over to the bike paths by the crane place. Thus avoiding the roundabout

I'm not sure I've actually hit the roundabout going that direction. It would be rare for me.
Going from Eugene, through Glenwood, the South on Franklin

I really don't like riding on Franklin through Glenwood, so like above, I normally would cut off at the Garbage Dump, then weave around over the RR tracks, and come out at UPS, and then back to Franklin southbound.