View Single Post
Old 10-12-19, 03:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I have yet to install any 1-3/8" tire that is actually any wider than a 1-1/4" Pasela or World Tour (which measure an actual 33mm or so depending on the rim width and on inflation pressure).

I had 1-1/4" Specialized Transition tires a couple of decades ago which measured all of 26mm wide on a Mod58 rim.

I've had better luck with Cheng Shin tires over the years than with Kenda, though both make tires at various price points and you get what you pay for to some degree.
The "S-bend" in the tread is an outer-ply failure, usually due to incomplete/insufficient overlapping of the middle and outer plies under the tread (and most common on cheaper tires).
On well-used tires, an outer-ply failure can also occur at the sidewall, due to combined effects of aging and/or abrasion.

I especially like the 1" Paselas, which measure a full 26.5mm wide on medium-width vintage 27" rims. These let the old bikes keep their sporting character, and are I believe the fastest size after tire-size pressure adjustment is taken into account.