View Single Post
Old 01-18-18, 08:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
For "family" rides of 3-5 miles almost any bike will do. The Evry Journey is a simple single-speed coast-brake cruiser with an additional front handbrake (nice). The Venture is a external geared multi-speed bike with a seat post shock absorber and front shock forks.

At the similar low price point of each bike I would go for the mechanically simpler EvryJourney...it should prove to be more reliable, and more trouble free.

As far as the "comfort" of each bike, for on-road comfort I prefer cushy tires over suspension forks and sprung seat posts. My wife has a bike like that and it leaves me feeling disconnected from the road in an odd way. I put large cruiser tires on my old un-suspended Mountain Bike commuter last summer and it was delightfully comfy while feeling connected to the road. I do have a firmly sprung seat on that bike, but it doesn't "pogo" like my wifes bike's seatpost spring, which also has a soft-sprung seat.

For distance riding, things get tricky, as what feels comfortable in the short run can become uncomfortable in the long run. Most people, but not all, would want a more forward-leaning road bike posture for distance, which places less weight on your butt, but more on your hands, but with drop-bars and other styles you get more and varied hand positions. Also many people find a soft, wide or sprung seat to be irritating on long rides. (Not me).

And of course a geared bike can usually cruise faster than a single-geared bike depending on gearing of-course.

All that being said, there is a guy like me in his late 50s on my commute route. A few years ago he stopped riding his touring bike and began bike commuting 15 miles each way on a single-speed, coaster brake 1960's Schwinn Typhoon which is very similar to the Evry Journey, minus the hand brake. NO matter which of my three bikes I ride he usually slightly outpaces me in the flatter portions, but with my gears I overtake him on the hills.

So I'd go for the Evry Journey. If it proves inadequate for longer rides look into more of a road-style bike, but ride the bike to make sure it's comfortable. And don't rule out a pre-owned bike from a local bike store (not criagslist). You can find tremendous value backed by a store that has gone through the bike and should stand behind it, or at least let you return it if its not right.