View Single Post
Old 06-19-20, 07:04 AM
N1CKV

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek Domane AL2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am still very new to serious cycling. My first "road bike" came from Academy Sports (private labeled Kent) for $250.
I learned a few things and after about 100 miles realized this bike was not going to hold up to any serious cycling miles.

Being that this was during the COVID lockdown time I was able to capitalize on that and sold the bike for what I paid for it on FB Marketplace within 30 minutes.

I turned around and went to my LBS and the only thing available that would fit me was a Trek Domane AL2. To be perfectly honest I was not looking to get a carbon frame and I saw no reason to spend on a disc brake setup (very flat here and I won't be riding in the rain often). I was actually hoping for a Domane AL3 for the slightly better groupset, but I took what I could get. The Claris groupset is very smooth compared to the garbage Tourney I came from but I really would like an extra gear (or two) when riding in a pace line.

Overall I am very happy with the ride of my aluminum Domane and I know it will only get better when I upgrade tires in the future. I can really see it being a long term bike with upgrades along the way. I'm not looking to really race, I'm in it for fitness.
in the near future I foresee a lot of used bikes flooding the market as people that just bought them during stay at home orders stop riding and look to move them from garages.