View Single Post
Old 01-11-21, 12:47 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4827 Post(s)
Liked 3,951 Times in 2,569 Posts
Fix gear isn't for everyone. That said, I fell in love first ride despite a "forgot to coast" very abrupt crash from 20 mph fully strapped in.

Two big recommendations - find pedals with easy pickup. The old Leotard platforms (Lyotard Marcel Berthet M23) work really well. I rode them for decades. Toeclips and straps have the very real advantage that your feet do not slip off the pedals, even if you twist your foot without knowing. (Strange things happen on 40 MPH, 200 RPM descents on fix gears. I will never ride clipless on my fix gears.)

Second- drop your seat. I tell newcomers to put tape exactly 1/2" above the top of the seat tube or clamp. Drop to the tape. As you already know, the coast reflex is dialed in. Takes a few miscues to re-train. With a seat so low your knee never comes remotely close to straight, those miscues hurt far less! (I did my crash with a high seat I no longer ride on any bike. It felt like my leg muscle was processed for hamburger while the cow was still alive.)

And be patient. This is like a downhill skier learning to ski XC. Completely different. Completely different mindset.