Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samthebrand
Hey all. Thanks for the insight. But a question: This will be my first century ride (and my buddy's). But why do it as part of this organized event? Why not ride it ourselves... just the road and the adventure ahead (no flocks of riders). Just curious. Seems like going ourselves might be a more meaningful experience, but maybe I'm missing something here. Thanks!
The ride is totally do-able on your own. Last time when I did the 100 mile route, with 5BBC, everyone flatted on Dune Road. This leg of the route is occasionally underwater and always sprinkled with shells. It was a pleasure to have someone fix the flat while I relaxed and had a bite to eat. The food is pretty good and you don't have to search around for a bite to eat or find a place to pee. If you bonk there's a SAG van to take you to the next rest stop or all the way to the end.

Most people would think of riding to Montauk via Montauk Highway. Glen's and the old 5BBC route is much more scenic. Of course if you wanted to do it self-supported you could always find an old cue sheet on the web.

LIRR does allow a limited number of bikes on the train and sometimes run a special BikeTrain that accommodates more bikes. Check their schedule for times and fare. You'll also need an MTA Bike Permit.

Hamptons Jitney allows bikes in the cargo bay but has an extra fee for bikes.

Last edited by Stacy; 04-14-12 at 12:40 AM.