Thread: Car Free Me
View Single Post
Old 10-14-18, 04:36 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
That program looks great. Working with the elderly I encounter the topic of when they had to give up their license, often with an accompanying loss of independence. It's a milestone with repercussions similar to retirement (loss of purpose).

I also think programs that teach able bodied people how to live car free/lite would be helpful. Many times I get reflexive statements like "oh that's a great idea but it wouldn't work for me" when discussing cycling even though I know the people and can see how it would work.

To me it all seems overtly simplistic but that's because in this area I am fairly independent in thought. Others really do need help "normalizing" an activity before trying it.

In a large corp setting I could see a Health and Wellness committee hosting a workshop for employees and adding incentives like secure parking/showers. If say, 6 people went through as a cohort they could provide long term peer support to each other.

personally, I would get behind making something like that happen in my workplace.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-14-18 at 04:40 PM.