Old 08-18-20, 07:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,061 Times in 2,708 Posts
It always depends. If it is a high end bike then probably yes especially if you are still riding it and enjoying it. If was a low end bike at the time probably not unless again you really love it and enjoy it and have tried other bikes and don't like them. If you have LX or XT or XTR parts on it then probably not a bad one to keep going but if it says tourney or Acera or Shimano A probably not. My old Trek hunk of piece from the 90s with Acera that needed a lot of work wasn't worth it, I gave it to a friend and said it needs a lot do with it what you will. I then proceeded to get a nice Surly Disc Trucker and never looked back (now I don't have the Disc Trucker and moved on to a lovely Co-Motion Cascadia and have a bunch of other bikes as well)

However it is important to keep in mind bikes are hard to get right now so that can be a factor in your decision.

Shifters can sometimes be brought back when you remove old caked up grease inside with some degreaser or heat (best from a parts washer or something that won't cause damage to anything) usually not just shift cables and housing but that can sometimes be the case.

Ask yourself do I love this bike and would I give anything to keep it running? If not move on, if so follow your heart.