View Single Post
Old 12-02-18, 01:40 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
So you get like 20,000 miles out of a tire? And a chain lasts what, thirty or forty thousand? Neat. Somebody get me a ticket to this alternate universe.
I never said the chain didn't need replaced a long time ago. As far as I can remember, this will be the first chain I've put on. I don't remember if I replaced the chain when I upgraded from six in back to seven.
Tires ... I've gotten maybe 15,000 miles before they were worn past the cord and into the tube.
Before that, I swapped the tires off my boss's bikes, with permission, of course.

BTW, car and truck tires last 60,000 and more miles. (Heck, in 1972 I put a set of used Mitchelin tires on the 1960 Olds I was driving. I found out later they had almost 200,000 miles on them, and they still had enough tread to pass the state safety inspection!)
Why can't they come up with (or use) a rubber compound that will let a daRn bicycle tire last 30,000 miles or more?!
Some bicycle tires cost more than auto tires, yet last a fraction of the miles. 'Tain't fair.