Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Yes, there can be a dietary component, but to make this statement that seems to trivialize urine color as an indicator is just false information.
Urine color should be trivialized. It's old think silliness. As my cycling doctor says, "It's quantity, nothing to do with color." Remember that guy on here a while back who was drinking like a 1/2 gallon an hour off the bike, trying to get his urine clear? Very dangerous.

Have a good pee at least every 3 hours on or off the bike, all good. No pee, bad. I speak from doing a lot of doubles, brevets, and other long hard rides in the heat and in the mountains. It's pretty simple. If I come into a control and can't pee, I sit there and drink water until I do. That's not wasted time.

https://www.precisionhydration.com/b...-well-hydrated
Studies (like ours) that looked at blood markers of cellular hydration (which is what doctors look at when assessing hydration status in patients) found NO relationship between cellular dehydration (blood sodium above 145mmol/L or "hypernatremia") and urine concentration.
and
I find this extremely interesting because I’ve increasingly felt that the apparent obsession with ‘peeing clear’ is not necessarily a completely helpful a message to be promoting to athletes. I’ve seen it drive some pretty questionable behaviours in my interactions with sports people (from elite to amateur) over the years, myself included! I’d go so far as to say that it can actually be counterproductive in some circumstances.
There's your message, OP.

B12, found in most multis, turns your pee kind of yellow-orange. Nothing to do with dehydration.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 07-01-19 at 11:33 AM.