Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Sito
How do you manage/control hunger?
For me, these generally work well: smaller portions; more-frequent "meals" during the day; a greater amount of proteins+fats at each sitting; a wide range of vegetables and leafy greens, which helps to take up space without providing many calories; and, remaining well-hydrated. A good sleep schedule also seems to help ... in that when I'm well-rested and not jerking around my schedule I tend to find it easier to stick with "the plan." Combined with daily exercise of sufficient intensity to keep the "fires stoked," I do pretty well curbing hunger.

With food choices, I've found that the longer-lasting energy sources come from proteins and fats, and that so long as I have a good proportion of a "meal" from those then it takes longer to feel hungry and hunger "pangs" are much-reduced.

Example: a smaller breakfast of oatmeal and an orange results in my feeling hungry again in about 2-3hrs; whereas a smaller breakfast of oatmeal, yogurt, sunflower seeds, avocado (though of roughly similar overall calorie content), results in curbing hunger for 4-5hrs or more. Only difference is: the yogurt/seeds/avocado content (proteins+fats). Same schedule, same workout, but different energy levels and almost twice the length of time I can go before feeling hungry again. Anecdotal, sure, but ...

Another trick I often do is to consume a smaller salad prior to a meal's "main" courses. Fills me up a bit, and adds another 20+ minutes of eating prior to the "main" dishes coming. I don't tend to eat much volume, so it can make a difference in turning off the hunger "switch" for me.

I've heard some people have results from drinking a good amount of water in the hour prior to a meal. While it seems to help a little, for me it's not a major driver of my feelings of hunger.

YMMV.