Old 03-16-20, 12:32 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Beautiful TI bike. I hope to get a helix someday, they are cool looking IMO!!!
Yeah, the Helix does look pretty cool. I'm not sure what benefits the tube shape might offer over the standard shape, but hey, that doesn't have to matter, right?

I got the Lynskey back in the second half of 2017, but found out I was getting deployed in early 2018 and mostly stopped riding in the run-up to it, then spent the next year away from home. Got back last year, but for various reasons I'd only done a few hundred miles since then, and have only recently begun spinning up again towards regular decent mileage. So the Lynskey's still at just 2200 miles or so despite having gotten it 2 1/2 years ago. I'm hoping to triple that this year. So far in the ~2200 miles I've put on that bike I've absolutely loved it. It's solid, the Di2 shifting and disk brakes feel great and are major improvements over my previous bike, and it's just smooth and confident. Part of the smoother ride is due to the really excellent 32mm tires, part is that the bike is more appropriately sized for me than my previous one, and I'm sure some unknowable part is down to the titanium and the geometry. It suits me very well. I put the Brooks saddle on my previous bike a few hundred miles before I got the Lynskey, so the saddle probably has more like 2700 or 3000 miles on it. It did take several hundred miles of pain before it broke in, but ever since it's been infinitely more comfortable than the other saddles I've ever ridden. Even doing a century ride my comfort in the saddle wasn't an issue.

I value toughness, functionality, comfort, and safety first and foremost, but then appreciate weight and performance after those top priorities are met. I feel like this Lynskey is my perfect clyde bike, tough enough to be ridden hard by a guy as heavy as me, while being as performant as a bike built for someone like me can be. Do my AeroClyde wheels really offer me much over the stock wheels that came on the bike? Who knows? But it tickled me to build a wheelset that was as high performance as I could get, that absolutely was not offered commercially, since nobody builds high performance carbon wheels for clydesdales, and I won't ride one of these 18/24 or whatever wheelsets made for bean poles weighing 150 lbs soaking wet.
Likes For SethAZ: