View Single Post
Old 05-06-20, 09:30 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
Just wonder what others are using to start nipple onto spokes when building a new wheel. I've been limping along with a spoke bent into a "T" with an old nipple screwed backwards onto it far enough to act as a 'stop' for the nipple being installed. It does avoid the aggravation of dropping nipples inside the rim, but sometimes the nipple I'm trying to place sticks on threads of my kludged up tool and comes back out when I try to remove the tool. And since all the nipples do back up a little, they're not all threaded on to the same depth.

I'm eyeing the Unior nipple instalation tool since it appears to do exactly what I want, but I'm curious if there's a less spendy way to accomplish the same thing.
Wheel Fanatyk sells a pin vice but it’s as expensive as the Unior tool. There are other pin vises out there for less however. You’d just need to find the smooth bit for that fits in the spoke nipple. Another consideration would be a jewelry screw driver set. If it has enough sizes, one of them could fit in the nipple.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!