Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I lifted weights consistently for about 10 years and it all came to a halt in March of 2020 and haven't touched a weight since. I would do chest day, arm day, core day and then reluctantly - leg day ha ha. I have problems with my legs for some reason and take too long to recover. I even did cross fit a few years back but I think that was a mistake which led to a torn shoulder which has never recovered.

Since March, I have done nothing but ride - outdoors and Zwifting and then every other day I do yoga. I've lost about 10lbs of muscle, which helps speed up my cycling and I don't have the constant pain in my shoulders and chest that I used to have from lifting weights. I do miss it and can see my muscles deteriorating but can't see myself getting in a gym any time soon with the pandemic.

You are using other muscle groups (core, triceps, fore arms, etc...) when cycling just not for the purpose of building muscle or increasing strength.
Every day after your yoga, try a set of pushupe to near failure and plank for 2'. That's my minimal upper body & core, works. I'm just doing legs with the dumbbells now. I did upper body along with my legs through December.