View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 10:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 820 Posts
That kind of ticking/clicking noise is enough to drive someone crazy. It is extremely hard to pinpoint where the noise is actually coming from. If you have someone that can ride with and alongside of you, they may be able to figure out what area it is actually coming from. I had one recently that I would have bet someone it was coming from rear wheel. Switched out wheels and same noise still there. Switched pedals and saddle, cleaned chain, cassette and rings; noise still there. I eliminated all I could think of and decided it must be from the bottom bracket. I bought the tool square taper BB removal and pulled the BB, cleaned and regreased the cups and threads. No noise after this BB work until about 25 miles into a ride. The noise started again and got worse as I rode towards home. When I checked out the BB, it looked OK from the outside, but, before I pulled it again I checked the tightness and the right side was not tightened with enough torque. I clamped the BB tool to the BB with a QR skewer and re-tightened the BB with more torque. I could not get that much torque without clamping the BB. I have ridden a few hundred miles since that fix and have had no more ticking noise. It is OK that it took so much to find the cause of the noise because I ended up with a clean bike and everything lubed and tightened.