Old 09-19-19, 10:31 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@ascherer, you're describing my feelings for my McLean (analogous to your Mercian) and my International. I've also had my McLean a long time, in my case, 36 years. I feel melded to it when I'm riding, though I admit I get backaches after riding it. Maybe I need the bars higher. Right now, my McLean has 28mm Continental GP4000S-II tires on it, and they are amazing. What's the maximum width your Mercian will take?
Tom, I don’t know how wide I could go on the Mercian. I’ve thought about it, and it looks like there’s a fair amount of space available. I have a set of 700c wheels with Pamela 28s from the Peugeot that I could pop in to get a sense of fit. The Michelins have plenty of life left, and even though I love them I’ll almost certainly go a bit wider when it’s time to replace them. But contrary to current trends I still find those skinny high-pressure tires to be quite comfortable to ride, and I have the cushy Compass tires in the International as a comparison. Even further, my Sports has 650A Col de la Vies which are super plush and have very supple casings too.

Have you had a fitting for the Maclean recently? I know how much you love that bike, you might still be comfortable on it. That’s a partnership worth maintaining!

Last edited by ascherer; 09-19-19 at 10:42 PM.