Thread: Jones ebike
View Single Post
Old 02-22-21, 10:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,009 Times in 2,676 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
Bafang is just fine. its no less quality than any other brand.
It is a fine kit motor but not the same quality and support as say Bosch or Shimano. I probably couldn't go into many shops that aren't really selling e-bikes and get work done on a Bafang but Bosch and Shimano super easy as most shops deal with Shimano and have a QBP account.

They are certainly top of the heap (or close) for kit motors but I would not want an e-bike designed around a bolt on kit. One of their actual proper mid drive motors (not the bolt into the bottom bracket ones) maybe if the price was really low. If you are building an e-bike to be an e-bike you should build it around the motor not just take what you already made and slap a motor on it.

I guess on the hub drive side they are certainly nostalgic as they still make a ton of them. They even make a motor built into a mag wheel for extra 80s BMX points that you find by a WalMart dumpster in the 2000s and realize they were on a Mongoose they had to throw away.