Thread: Jones ebike
View Single Post
Old 02-25-21, 01:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,008 Times in 2,676 Posts
Originally Posted by sloppy12
were the broken bottom brackets on bikes that were built for a bottom bracket style mid drive? I have seen broken bottom brackets on bikes from peddle power. Jeff clearly is designing this bike with that drive system in mind he is not really known for making skimpy bikes. His bottom brackets will probably hold up as well as any bottom bracket.

Bosch still offers OEM hub drives. but its "scooters" I seem to remember at one point they had a city bike system with a hub drive. I could be wrong on that it could have been some other brand as you say.
That is the point of the kits is to bolt them onto anything. No regular bicycle is designed for a kit motor to be put on it but the bikes in question where not lightweight skimpy bikes they were mid range mountain bikes a steel fat bike and some other stuff. The bike looks quite similar to what he is already making. Maybe there is a little enhancement but I would rather have a properly integrated system not just a heavier frame.

I am still not seeing hub drives on bicycles? Scooter sure but it looks like a much different system to a spoked bicycle wheel. I don't know that Bosch has done anything but mid-drives on bicycles, I can certainly ask them next time I chat with them but I feel like I would have seen it or heard of it by now with all the Bosch presentations and new and old bikes I have seen and people I have been around.