Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
You can't make such blanket statements about WD-40 any more, positive or negative. The brand markets dozens of specific use products in addition to the original multi-purpose spray. Including several specific cycling chain lubes. It's all "WD-40".
Obviously, when the term 'WD40" as used in the context it's being used here, it refers to the original and most common WD40, not the numerous newer formulas, and obviously, not the ones labelled and designed specifically for bicycle chain applications.
Anyway, the bicycle lube market is as big a sham as the gun lube market (and their forums are just as polluted with redundant lube threads, as the bike forums are.) The important thing, with bikes and firearms, is to HAVE some form of an actual lubricant (which, of course, excludes WD40's Original Recipe).
Exactly which one is far less critical, and highly subjective. The tiny $10 bottles of liquid unobtanium from your local bike shop are likely good stuff, but.........they're $10+ bucks, and still not significantly better than most anything else.
For the money, (as mentioned above), it's hard to beat something like Mobil1 automotive oil ( coincidentally, also highly popular with firearm enthusiasts). But in my experience, it tends to sling off pretty badly onto the rim and spokes (though I've yet to try a higher viscosity).
I'm currently still running on a couple old bottles of Pro-Link, but I've also used Tri-Flo, Boeshield, Pedros, Dupont teflon multi-purpose, White Lightining and other dry lubes, etc.etc.etc.etc.
Though I still read these threads, out of some irrepressible streak of masochism, I've grown weary of the endless search for the Holy Grail of bike (and firearm) lubricants, and am content to use pretty much anything that's handy......and cheap..

Last edited by Brocephus; 04-14-19 at 08:30 AM.
Likes For Brocephus: