View Single Post
Old 08-02-19, 06:15 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
@Slightspeed, that chrome cleaned up nicely, but yeah, when it's too far gone, it's too far gone. I am having the same issue with a pair of Campy NR pedals. Again, I can't do the aluminum foil approach, so I used the brass wool again - but this time the flaking in some areas was just too much.

I like how you left little bits of rust spotting here and there. I think it looks normal, especially with vintage paint. Sometimes vintage bikes are cleaned up too much (IMHO).

DD
The Turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover can take the plain bare metal all the way down sometimes to shiny where it blends ok with chrome that won't come back very well, then oil or WD40 to help preserve and call it good.

It has produced some pretty good place holders and usable spares.

It definitely requires some stainless steel brushes, scotchbrite and elbow grease to really get after it, sometimes with meager results, sometimes much better.

Last edited by merziac; 08-02-19 at 06:19 PM.