Thread: Bike-E Tandem
View Single Post
Old 01-29-19, 10:09 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums and the Recumbent section. Just a note to someone new to the site. It is OK to start a new thread rather than bring up one that is five and a half years old. The thread starter for this thread hasn't posted on Bike Forums since 2014 and didn't list an E2 among his bikes when he stopped posting. I would guess he never bought one

It is not quite true that there were never any issues with the BikeE E2. If you go to the Bicycleman website (major recumbent dealer in Alfred, NY) you can read about the CPSC recall on 700 of the E2 bikes made between March 2000 and the close of the company in 2002. In addition you should take great care with the 3 speed hub on your BikeE. I bought a BikeE AT in 2000. It was never abused but the SACHS 7 hub failed a couple of years later when it was only being used as a loaner and with not many total miles on it. Even back then parts were not available so the bike sat for years until I found a spare hub cheaply. I threw the repaired bike away after a year or two a it never really met my needs. I later learned that it was a part of a bad batch of hubs purchased by BikeE and of course when they began to fail, the company was gone.E2 tandem recall:

BikeE Corp. voluntarily recalled 700 recumbent tandem bicycles. The steerer tube on the front forks can separate, causing the rider to lose control of the bicycle, fall, and possibly suffer serious injuries. BikeE dealers sold these bicycles beginning March 2000.The CPSC says:

“Consumers should stop using these bicycles immediately. The firm, BikeE, is out of business and cannot be contacted. As the firm is no longer involved with this recall, consumers can take a recalled bicycle to the dealer from which purchased, but it is up to the dealer as to whether the repair can be performed, and whether there is a charge.”