View Single Post
Old 04-07-19, 04:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I've actually had some issues with Google Searching the website, and have recently have done better using the search within BikeForums.

Google, of course, doesn't like the old image format, so searching for old photos doesn't help. The new image format is fine.

I was putting my username "CliffordK" into the Google searches, and think Google may have had an autocorrect issue. Then, perhaps simply forgot some pages.

The Stronglight issue above is odd. I was able to successfully search for "Campy".

Is it also an autocorrect/spelling/dictionary issue?

Originally Posted by rm -rf
The forum search function isn't too good.

I use google with 'site:'

site:bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/ sales stronglight arm
Link
Then you can click Tools and select a custom range of Time (or past week, month, year)
The short text thumbnails in the results are helpful.

Doing this as an Image Search can be useful too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Searching just that one thread:
site:https:// www .bikeforums .net/classic-vintage/ 1136042-iso-trade-thread-part-5-a .html stronglight
(..brain dead forum software keeps converting this text into a link. spaces added to show this as text.)
returns one result.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I use it to find old posts I've made:
for example (and I need to put rm -rf in quotes so google ignores the dash.)

site:bikeforums.net "rm -rf" prescription sunglasses
You may be able to format your search a little differently. Search instead for:
Use the invariable part of the thread URL as part of your Google Search (leave off the last .html)

You may get a message from Google: "repeat the search with the omitted results included. "... which helps.

Oh, and if you do your own BB Code formatting, then scroll down and uncheck the boxes:
  • Automatically parse links in text
  • Automatically embed media (requires automatic parsing of links in text to be on).
  • Automatically retrieve titles from external links