View Single Post
Old 05-24-19, 11:57 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by riceowls
Did you ride to Fallingwater? How hard is it to get from GAP? Do you recommend house or ground tours?
My friend & I had already visited Fallingwater before we rode the GAP, so we decided to visit another Frank Lloyd Wright house in the area, Kentuck Knob, instead. Google maps says that to get to Fallingwater from Ohiopyle, it's 3.9 miles and you go up 659 feet and go down 545 feet. That's one-way. So you'd have climbing in both directions. When I visited I was in a car and it was a long time ago, and I don't recall what the road was like. We did bike to Kentuck Knob on our GAP ride. I found it to be far less interesting than Fallingwater, and the climb out of Ohiopyle was extremely steep and nasty but not too long. It's on the west side of the Youghiogheny River, whereas Fallingwater is on the east side of the river.

I did the house tour of Fallingwater. Obviously, you can see some of the grounds walking to and from the house, but I imagine that the grounds tour would be interesting, too, especially from a design standpoint.