Thread: Chain lube.
View Single Post
Old 07-04-19, 07:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by wobrien
DaveSSS Will please give more detail on how you make this? Do you melt the paraffin then add the naphtha or let the naphtha desolve it? I think that would take a very long time. I don’t have naphtha but I have mineral spirits and I have white gas at home. Will either of those substitute well for the naphtha? I don’t know how to measure 2 - 3% oil so I assume several drops (half teaspoon) will work, correct? Any other comments about making this will be helpful.

thanks
Considering that DaveSSS says that the “white gas” he uses is naphtha, yes, your white gas would work. Mineral spirits is similar enough to white gas to work as well. Don’t expect to dissolve a lot of wax in either, however. There’s a limit to it’s solubility.

There might be other solvents that will work but I am hesitant to make those suggestions. The solvents carry far more hazards than white gas and mineral spirits.

Originally Posted by Trinity Pratt
Sad but true, from long experience cleaning really grimy auto parts, yes, it's dangerous, but NOTHING works like gasoline.
-Dan
There are MANY solvents that work as well as gasoline. Mineral spirits works just as well without the hazards. Gasoline is formulated to ignite at low temperatures without much energy input.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!