View Single Post
Old 10-27-08, 12:36 PM
jocelain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, I'm really new at this. Two days ago my husband showed up with an e-bike he bought on craigslist for $250. As an avid cyclist until a few years ago (when I had some health issues), I got quite excited about it. Turns out it's one of the "made in China" varieties, distributed by a company in Quebec a couple of years ago, through Costco. Yesterday I rode it to work, and clunky as it is, I'm hooked on the idea! Lucky for me, my employer has incentives for alternate modes of transportation to work, and a shower in the locker room!

This bike is pretty pokey, weighs a ton, and looks like a stretched-out retro girls' bike. I love it because I can wear skirts, and don't have to work too hard. Also, I don't think it will get stolen unless the thief has a penchant for hernias and a stretch limo station wagon. On the flip side, it's not a cyclist's dream bike (like my 20 year old Miyata hybrid), rattles over the bumps, and is awkward to maneuver, even to check over my shoulder for cars! The mirrors simply don't give me a proper rear-view, and with the weight, I'm hesitant to do proper hand signals. I'll post a picture here, then get to the point:

What is the most economical way for me to put a motor on my own bicycle, without being a bike mechanic. I so understand that you guys have a passion for the process, but I just don't. I have other talents. And I love the idea of turning my own bike into an ebike "down the road". Also, if any of you have any ideas on fine-tuning the above "made in china " generic version, better light, mirrors, or where I can shop online or in Toronto for any of the above, I'd be thrilled. I'm going to clean it up, and use it for now; it's got a 400watt battery, and seems to get me to work without a huge amount of effort. And it's red!
Likes For jocelain: