acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I was there when the DM was converted. Didn't see that much change except for tipping, which previously was typically rounding up the pfennigs (change) up to the next higher DM, changing to the next higher €. Also prices of the the cheapest ice cream cone went up from 1 DM to 1 €. Both cases amounting to a 100% increase.

As far as bicycles and accessories, I didn't see significant changes in price by Euro as of 2002. In fact I bought two commuter beauties for my daughters in Euro at the local Opel dealer who also had a small LBS within. A 3 speed Calvin (built in Germany by Biria) fully equipped as a commuter with Sachs Torpedo 3 speed IGH Coaster brake, Nokian 622-47 tires, etc., etc. Cost 365 € which was about $320 at the currency exchange rate back then. Bought a ZeroSeven Express for about 500€ (about $460) equipped with Sachs 7 speed IGH with coaster brake, balloon tires 26" x 2.125" and the normal commuting equipment. Of course bikes were completely assembled and ready to ride when we rode them home from the dealer, about 1KM. Never needed any adjustments by the seller.
I respect your opinion and love for German bikes ... because they are great.

IIRC, you're the only guy that uses a rear Römer Jockey back seat for your kids in the US, while everyone goes with a trailer I'm bringing the MTB over here just for that reason (to install a Römer).

I think you caught the € at the beginning of circulation, jp is correct, at the beginning it did stay relatively the same (or even slightly) cheaper than with the $, then it abruptly shot up to 1.6€:1$.

Attached Images