Old 09-17-14, 08:15 PM
alaskadude

Bikes: Surly OGRE, Surly LHT Deluxe w/S&S couplers,novara safari, raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is 50 pounds a normal load for touring?

I am going on my first bike tour. It will be in Asia (Nepal, maybe India) I have been to this area many times, but this is the first time on a bike.
I have read many sites, and pared my gear down as much as possible. I think when I am done, it will weigh about 50 pounds. This seems like a lot to me, but it seems to ride OK around home. I also cant see too much that I packed that I can get by without on a 4 or 5 month trip. I am not taking anything I can buy along the way.
That 50 pounds includes the weight of the panniers, a waterproof duffel where the tent, sleeping bag, and some clothes will go. Anyway, all that stuff, including the weight of the dry bag and 4 panniers, comes to about 50 pounds. This does not include the weight of water and food. These will vary as to the part of my trip I am on. In much of Asia there is cheap food and accomodation. I have considered not taking the tent, but there will probably be situations where I will need to 'stealth-camp'.
The bike is a Surly LHT with S&S couplers, so that will be one bag. The dry bag holds all the panniers, and all the gear. So therefore I have only two bags. One of the Ortlieb bags will be my carry-on.
I am 6'2" and weigh weigh 250 pounds--