View Single Post
Old 06-19-18, 05:05 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Crona
I came close to considering a schlumph drive but I wanted to keep the overall cost of this bike down.

I started designing my own two speed hub. I think the sram really lacks in the bearings and shiftpoint adjustability. It also just seems larger than required. Planetary gears are proving to be the pricey point ($367.00). I may be able to find a cheap hub and gut it for the gears but I really dont like that idea. So im abandoning this project for now, maybe I will pick it up again when I get sick of the sram.

For now I was lucky enough to find a coasterbrake automatix hub on Ebay. Unfortunately the shipping costs as much as the hub. This bike will just be for riding on bike paths with my girlfriend. My hybrid is too easy and my cruiser is too slow to keep up. I think a 2 speed would be great with the amount of stops on these trails and the occasional hill. We only cruise at 12-16 mph so I may keep the low stock shiftpoint and gear it low.
Yeah, Schlumpf drive works great, but very pricey. A more affordable alternative is the Patterson crank set.
https://www.pattersonbike.com/
The only drawback is that it won't work with a coaster brake as it freewheels.
The Schlumpf does not freewheel, so it does work with a coaster brake. I actually have a bike with a Schlumpf speed drive paired with a Sturmey Archer 2 speed coaster brake hub.