Old 05-03-19, 10:04 AM
fat2fit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Most (all?) bike pumps will work with both valve types. You may have to flip a gasket over or something. The shop where you bought it can show you.
However, hand pumps are generally not ideal to use as your only pump - you need a floor pump that can easily get up to 100 psi. It may be possible with a hand pump, but generally quite difficult and it often puts too much force on the valve stem, and if that is damaged you have to replace the inner tube. carry your hand pump on your bike with a spare tube for emergencies. I got my floor pump for $30 from a big-box retailer. Your bike shop will also likely have a floor pump to suit you.

The correct height for your seat is when your leg is almost completely straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke, with your foot roughly level and the ball of your foot over the pedal axle. You don't want significant bend in your knee at its most expended point, and you don't want to have to reach down with your foot to keep it on the pedal. This may be a different amount of extension from the frame for each rider and each bike, so don't worry that others' bikes are 'right' and yours is 'wrong'. Set yours up to be comfortable to ride for you.
If the seatpost has to be all the way down into the frame or extended past the maximum extension line (stamped into the seatpost a couple inches from its lower end) to get comfortable or achieve proper leg extension, that is generally an indicator that you might have the wrong size frame.
Hey thanks for the reply. I went to my shop and they swapped my handpump I bought from them for a floor pump with a gauge. I pumped my tires up to about 100-110 psi and rode around town for a solid hour yesterday after the gym (and rode to the gym!) - bike is awesome, I notice it has a difficult time sometimes shifting into the top chainring though, maybe it could use an adjustment. My chain also rubs against the front derailer "guard" on the outer side when in certain gears which has no affect on the ride but it can be loud. Should I take the bike in to tune this or can I watch a video on how to adjust this myself? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I used to race motocross and would rebuild motors, check valves, etc. all the time so I'm sure I can learn how to make derailer adjustments I just don't want to screw it up so I can't shift it at all lol.

Thanks, I'll have to double check to see if my leg is straight out when I put it down on the pedal, and make proper adjustments from there.

Cheers