Old 06-15-19, 03:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Hasselhof
Those both look great. The child trailer I have at the moment doesn't have a collapsible seat, it sort of forms part of the structure of the trailer so I hadn't considered that option before. A double kid trailer seems like it would be a great load carrier size, I'll just have to make sure it's of a type where that can happen. How do you find the cargo on the floor? Does it sag down too much or is the canvas tight enough that this hasn't been a concern? I guess an option there would be to reinforce the base with some plywood cut to size, increasing the weight though.

The purpose built one also looks fantastic, it's something I need to consider as an investment for a new one as it's likely that I'll be getting a lot of use out of in the next few years. It appears to have pretty low sides, do you find that bungee cords are enough to keep the load stable and in place? I've got a lot of access to MUPs in my area, however they are all getting quite old and bumpy with tree roots growing under the path having significantly deformed the path surface in many areas with a resulting very bouncy ride.
I've had problems with the foot well for the kid's trailers being too low. And, am not quite sure... perhaps I'll try to modify one to decrease the foot well, but that may also require some sewing.

The fabric is generally fine for carrying a load around the seat area. And, I've had some pretty massive loads in my Burley (although I think the fabric has been torn some, perhaps also due to the age). Once I drop the seat out, I leave the fabric in place (to double up the fabric in the seat area).

I'll strap down some loads, but I leave the sides on my trailers, and a foot or so front and back, and quite a few things I just drop in and let gravity hold it in place. Groceries and etc usually don't get tied down, although if it is particularly small (might fall through a hole, or perhaps light), it might go into another bag.

I usually use "Cam Straps" for kayaking/rafting to tie down with (loop, no hooks). I might use bungees on a rack, but rarely with the trailer.

I did find a utility box that fits well into the trailer, but unfortunately it isn't very waterproof See last photo.

Likes For CliffordK: