View Single Post
Old 07-17-11, 12:14 PM
Fleabiscuit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A friend of mine and I just weighed three relatively high end bikes using a Park tool scale. We didn't take bottle holders, saddle bags or pedals off (there were no bottles in holders). Here are the results:

One was a very high end titanium bike, small size with dura ace groupe, zipp 404 clinchers PowerTap hub, speedplay pedals, alpha q fork with cf steerer I believe, and fsa cf bars. The bike weighed just over 19 lbs.

The other bike was a CF frame with SRAM Red groupe, aluminum bars, custom wheels with older PowerTap Pro+ hub, two plastic bottle holders, look keo pedals, frame pump and saddle bag with a tube and co2 pump. The bike weighed just under 19 lbs.

The third bike was a very high end cf frame (60 or 62 size), cf cranks, full ultra, zipp 404 clinchers with high end power tap hub - I don't recall model, full ultra - latest model, cf bars stem and seat post, leyzne frame pump, small saddle bag with one or two tubes and two cf bottle cages. I believe it weighed slightly over 19 lbs but let's say 19 lbs. This is a '10 top of the line frame from a major bike company.

I was surprised by the weights but not too much. These bikes were weighed with pedals, bottle holders and saddle bags. The way typical cyclists ride their bikes. Typical BF wankers probably take everything off their bikes including tires, pedals and bar tape, and brag about their 15lb. Bike to their loser friends, but most people ride their bikes with pedals and a small saddle bag with a spare tube. A pound difference in bike weight isn't going to mean much to 99% of the cyclists on this site. Weighing your bike with no pedals, saddle bag or bottle cages is of little value if the bike can't be ridden.

Last edited by Fleabiscuit; 07-17-11 at 12:18 PM.