pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Butchchr
Much like this thread the debate will never die.

Though I have upgrade question about the two.

Backstory: I'm newer to the off road side of cycling and have a '04 Frankenbike that is slowly becoming a monstercross/rigid single track bike. My levers are a Shimano 105 9speed and a Cane Creek SCR-5. It currently has generic no label Shimano Cantilevered brakes with kool stops

BUT In my spares bin I have both upgraded Cantis (Avid Shorty 6) and V brakes (Avid Single digit 3r). I like the modulation of the cantis and have only found myself wanting more power on the steepest of descents. I realize that I will need travel agents if I go to v brakes but I want to pick up the wide cable hangers if I stick with cantis so I can move to a 40c tire so it is a bust on price. Both need new pads again even on cost.

I am at a total loss about which one to go with...even after reading all 15 years of this thread, please help.

Pic is unrelated
Mini v-brakes. Use road levers, all the benefits of v-brakes, none of the crap of canti's. Basic tektro ones are cheap, super easy to setup and stop the bike, quickly. I can fit 40 mm tires with my mini v's.
Become reality to me