WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well, I've put ~9,000 miles on 700x25 tubeless @ 90psi, and I'm 210lbs. You pressure is either unnecessarily high, or you weigh like 270lbs.

In all those miles, I've never had a flat. Yes, I've had incidents that resulted in the loss of the tire-- punctured by screws, glass cuts, etc-- but nothing that wouldn't have also destroyed a tubed tire.

So for me it's tubeless in everything until a better solution comes along.
I weigh 245, so the 116 psi pressure, at least for the rear (which is where the leaks were) is about right, per Bicycle tire pressure calculator
I do note, from that website, that the front tire pressure should be much lower than I've been riding, about 95psi. So thanks for pointing that out.

In many years of sporadic riding using tubed 700c tires at pretty high pressures, I almost never had a flat of any kind. I think I probably went 15 years where I'd ride my bike, hang it up, and come back the next day, week, month, or year, and it would have lost almost no air. So flats haven't been a concern.

I think that the two leaks in my tubeless tires were caused by glass cuts or something like that. So if most of the leaks I experience are cuts, and cuts in tubeless tires are really hard for me to repair myself (and impossible for me to repair on the road) I'm way ahead avoiding that. Plus, no sealant all over when I do replace the tube.

I'm probably just a reactionary curmudgeon, though.