WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The last screw I picked up I rode 25 more miles on it. Took the screw out when I got home, put in a plug, and rode it for a few hundred more miles. I just replaced a front tire at ~4,500 miles, a week shy of it's 1st birthday. Never had to break the bead during that year.
No tire survives this, tubed or otherwise. I had no qualms about ordering an identical replacement tire. Stuff happens.
As you noted, this is at 90 psi and 25x700c, which is close enough to my 116 and 26x700c. So, first, I probably have less confidence in the plug approach, and didn't want a chunk of bacon strip sticking out of the tire. I'll try that before removing the tire again.

But if the balloon goes up and I have a gash like the one you've shown, I'll have to remove the tire. And if I had a folding tubeless in my bike bag, I wouldn't be able to get it mounted on my wheel (at least on the Paradigm Elites. I haven't tried this on my Race XLs).

I do think that the Hutchinson kit is a fail. I note that Velox has a tubeless patch kit that looks more like a tube patch kit, using rubber cement and not super glue. So choosing Hutchinson was my mistake.

But here's a question: do folks feel that the tubeless tires give a better ride for road bikes on paved routes? I get the goal of tubeless for off-road, fewer pinch flats and fewer small leaks. But for road tires?

I feel a little difference, but not that much.