burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Fasted all day today (2PM yesterday until about 5PM today) to hopefully stave off some of the weight gain over the trip. A race in 12 days and I gained 6lbs over the work trip. Today was just an easy hour on the gravel bike before breaking my fast. Still managed some PR's on segments I ride a lot. Maybe the gravel is just running fast or something, but I wasn't pushing hard and it was hella hot.
The gravel here the last two days has been slow, due to dry/dusty conditions.

They have a machine in the park they use after huge storms to level/fix the washout parts of the gravel roads. After they use them, it takes a good gentle rain and a dry day to get fast again.

When it's super dry right after they do the roads, it's lots of loose gravel and sandy/dusty stuff that really bogs you down.

Last night I did another 30mi of MUP/gravel after the lunch workout. Just easy/tempo.

Lots of little mini slides and lots of "pling" as you kick up the loose stones. I'm a weenie, so a slide to me constitutes going 10 to 12 mph around a tight corner and maybe sliding 3 to 6 inches sideways. Like, nothing.