Old 07-16-19, 08:40 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Good food for thought. The intervals I mentioned were brief, five each of 30 and 60 seconds, last Monday. I was using my HRM and speed as well as perceived effort, mainly as a test session. I still haven’t fully recovered. That’s sobering. I really need a power meter to avoid overdoing it. Joel Friel has a new book, Fast After 50, that deals with age-related performance changes and strategies to stay competitive. I’m not really that competitive, but I am interested in developing and maintaining fitness for better health. And climbing famous mountains.
I would just say you overcooked it. Cycling Past 50 is still out there, do the rides he recommends for the long rides perhaps for a few weeks before stating intervals. Not that I'm any kind of a training expert but on my own that's how I look at it. I also find I have to spend my first few weeks at a time training my butt and setting up the saddle. I find as I ramp up distance per Joe's table of progressive ride durations, I may have to do more saddle fixes. I don't use a power meter. I have a Wahoo but never bought the power meter.

I like a kind of training called polarized training.