Old 08-14-19, 06:22 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I've always liked the look of high flanged hubs... but, truth be told, I've become a heavy swooner for 70's bicycle aesthetics. I just have a few questions to ask others with better knowledge and memories than myself, 1) was there a definitive year when low flange hubs truly became a design detail to signify that a wheel was "modern", and 2) was there some written word, like a voice (or pen) within the bicycle circles of the time, who reviewed high flange hubs verses low flange hubs, and made their determinations known, and in doing so, defined a "jump the shark" moment for high flange hubs?
I'm totally with you when it comes to 70s era bikes. They have a classic look with high flange hubs, chrome socks, and half or full chromed fork. Plus they usually have eyelets and take standard (now long) reach brakes which means you have a decent change of fitting a 32c tire. Plus those 70s era bikes tend to be reasonably priced.

One downside is the lack of water bottle braze ons but a camelbak takes care of that for a long ride. Another potential downside is the 120 mm rear which limits you to 5 in the back.